5 Pound Sack of Potatoes
Last week at the doctors they estimate that the baby is already 5 pounds! That is so big after so long of her being compared to a blueberry or an avocado. We are working on getting the nursery ready and looking forward to meeting our little girl soon!
The Healthiest Scone You Will Ever Like
Multi-Grain Scones
1 Egg
1/2 cup sugar (I use cane sugar, but white sugar will work)
5 Tablespoons oil (either grape seed, olive, or vegetable)
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup wheat bran
1 1/2 cup flour ***see note
3 Tablespoons millet
1/2 cup sugar (I use cane sugar, but white sugar will work)
5 Tablespoons oil (either grape seed, olive, or vegetable)
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup wheat bran
1 1/2 cup flour ***see note
3 Tablespoons millet
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Whisk egg, sugar, and oil together.
3. Mix dry ingredients together in separate bowl. Then slowly add dry ingredients to wet. Then add milk and nuts.
4. Grease a pan and scoop a couple of tablespoons of dough into mounds onto the pan. There should be around 10 scones. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
***Note on flour: This is where I have experimented with different combinations of whole wheat flour, white flour, whole wheat pastry flour, or white whole wheat flour. My current favorite combination is 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour and 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour.
Click Here For Printable Copy of Recipe
What a Privilege To Love
I've continued to enjoy dwelling on what Jesus Christ shared with his disciples right before he was going to be crucified. I've been reading John chapters 13-16 a lot recently. What has really stood out to me is the privilege as a Christian I have to love other people.
9"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. 11I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. John 15:9-12 NIV
As a Christian I have "Christ-In" and I am commanded to love like Christ loved. What a privilege! When I try to love people on my own I often run out very easily. But when I look at God's love for me and Jesus Christ love for me I then have so much more to give to other people.
One thing I learned this month is how there are similar topics covered in John 13-16 and in the book of 1 John. In 1 John it also talks about what Christians are commanded to do.
"23And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us." 1 John 3:23 NIV
This is what I am endeavoring to do on a daily basis, believing in the power of the name of Jesus Christ and to love other people. That sounds like a good life to me.
Gardening
My Mrs. Moon plant made the first substantial showing, and boy did she show off! From a little sprig of a plant that my mom gave me last year she really started the season off with style!
I was so thrilled that my Solomon's Seal blossomed. This is a flower that grows wild in the woods. It is great to have a little woods in my backyard.
For my birthday Luke gave me 2 double pink knockout rose bushes. They are going to get to be 3 to 4 feet tall. I'm very thankful. (for those of you keeping score in the gardening department, I ended up not getting the David Austin rose this year. I found out that in the hot South, those English type roses need partial shade. Maybe next year I will get one).
Learning How to Cut With Scissors
After the past 7 years of working with preschool and elementary school children to develop fine motor skills, I am still fascinated by the process, and still find it interesting. I am starting to share what I know about fine motor development with my sister-in-law Anna for her little daughter Charlotte. For any moms of preschoolers or people that have preschoolers in their life, I thought that I would also start sharing some fine motor skill development information on this blog. Let me know if you use it.
View "Learning How To Cut With Scissors"
Cutting with scissors is something we take for granite as adults, but it is a skill children have to learn. I've seen too many time a child never having used scissors before and then given the shape of a dog or flower to cut out and then been unsuccessful and very frustrated. If you would like more information please click on the link for a document about learning to cut with scissors.

8 comments:
Hi Brig! Your blog inspires me so much to start my own. I love reading about you and what you are up to and discovering. The scone recipe sounds great! I have some things I am looking into about sneaking good stuff into toddler food - it works well for adding nutrients to the foods GROWN UPS eat too! Adding little bits where we can. And your note on the love of God was very timely ! I was just thinking this morning about a complicated relationship that I have with someone and wondering how to interact with the person. And my resolve was simply to love - and my actions will be correct. No matter how complicated the relationship is.
Thanks for sharing these things. I love you Brig!
Thanks Grace! You'll have to let me know when you start your blog. Thank you also for your comment last month about child birth and letting your body do the work. I've been growing more and more peaceful in preparation for the labor and I've been working on relaxing so I can do just that, let my body do the work it knows how to do.
There is my lovely wifie! Looking so great and doing such a good job providing a warm place for our Lily to grow.
I never liked scones before and I do like these.... I ate one last week with a scoop of ice cream... :)
Peace In,
Luke
I can't believe you are almost to the end of your pregnancy already, oh my goodness, she will be here before you know it! Such an exciting time of change and wonder for both of you!
I hope that you are both well and that the flooding has not effected you, I know Nashville is not too far from you. I was actually going to be there for MOPS convention in August but the Gaylord hotel is so covered in water I think it might be a year before it's fixed. No idea what MOPS plans to do next.
Lilla loves to cut with scissors. She is not really great at cutting shapes yet, but she's working on it. In fact, we just worked on that one today. I like the idea of tips by the way!
Your plants look great and I hope you are able to enjoy them lots!
Take care my friend!
Good to hear from you Amy. We are fine. Murfreesboro wasn't as affected as Nashville, but we did get A LOT of rain. I hope that your MOPS group still brings you to Nashville in August some how, even if the Opryland Hotel isn't in operation (I've heard an estimate of Christmas for them to be open, but probably no one really knows yet)
You are too cute! You wear pregnancy well :)
Hi Brigette! Thanks for visiting my blog! I ran across your name in another giveaway, and you said you loved the colours green, blue and turquoise - my favourite colours too!
Your plant you referred to as your Mr. Moon plant - I have the same one here in Ontario, Canada and it's blooming like crazy as well! It's called Lungwort, or "pulmonaria" (latin name). I love that it has pink AND purple coloured flowers.
God bless... I'll be reading some more of your blog in the days to come!
Thank you Mindee and Missbossypants. It is nice to meet both of you from the Sew Mama Sew give away.
Post a Comment