| First time rolling over! |
This September has been a wonderful time. My little girl has made many motor strides this month. She is rolling over, but most of the time in her sleep. Often I find her with an arm or a leg hanging out of the crib. She is also starting to reach for items with her hands, and sometimes actually picking them up. This especially is fun for her occupational therapist mother!Recipe
For many years now gazpacho has been a special recipe for me to make. I have so many good memories over the years making gazpacho to celebrate occasions or just to enjoy it with people that I love. I even took it on a car camping trip! Traditionally gazpacho is all pureed, even sometimes drinkable. The chunky version appeals more to me, maybe because it is like a salsa soup!
Gazpacho!
1/3 cup cilantro leaves
1 (or more) large jalapeno, cored, split, seeded
1 large garlic clove
3 large ripe tomatoes, quartered
3 cups tomato juice
1/4 cup each: ketchup, olive oil
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 cup each diced: green pepper(half of a large pepper), jicama (half a small jicama), white onion (half of a large onion)
1 cup raw corn (1 ear)
1 ripe avocado, peeled, diced
1 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Optional - sour cream, lime wedges, corn chips
1. Mince cilantro, jalapeno, and garlic in a blender or food processor. Add tomatoes. Puree. Add 1 cup tomato juice, ketchup, oil and Worcestershire sauce. Blend well.
2. Transfer to large bowl. Stir in remaining juice, diced pepper, jicama, onion, corn, avocado. Season with salt and pepper. Can be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated.
3. To serve, stir well. Serve chilled. Garnish with sour cream and lime juice. Eat with the chips.
Printable Recipe
Reading
I had fun reading this month. Here are two of the books that really had my attention.
Romancing Miss Bronte
This book shows Charlotte Bronte's real life. It was terribly interesting. She had published under a pseudonym and then became ridiculously famous. One funny scene was on a train when a man she knew was reading her book and didn't know that she had written it! I also appreciated that the book was based mostly on actually letters and diaries. The best part to me was that in the end she married and was able to enjoy how truly wonderful God made marriage to be. Her heart was tenderized by how her husband loved her. Unfortunately she died early before she was able to depict in a book how wonderful non-traumatic love can be.
Nurture Shock
This book was really interesting. It examined what our culture tells us is the correct way to teach children, but then how scientific studies show us that we may be off track. For example, most parents think that they are helping their children by telling the child that he or she is smart. But often children end up not trying difficult activities because they don't want to prove that they actually are not smart. But when people praise a child for working hard, then the child will try more difficult activities. For a book with a lot of scientific studies, it is really interesting to read.
Exercise
This month I swam laps 3 times a week! How wonderfully invigorating. Especially since my local pool had lap swimming outside until last week. My favorite times were swimming while the sun was setting. Priceless.
Occupational Therapy
This month I celebrate being an occupational therapist for 10 years! While I'm not currently working as a therapist, it has been a wonderful time for reflecting on the past 10 years. I am truly thankful for all the people I have met through the journey, both co-workers and patients. One of my patients was in his 60's and had limited use of his arms and legs due to being born with cerebral palsy. He grew up during a time where there was little awareness about people with disabilities. He shared with me that his favorite song was "Born Free". His attitude toward life was one of being thankful and enjoying everyday. This is the essence of what I enjoy about being an occupational therapist. Helping people to do the most that they can in life, and at the same time being reminded to enjoy living my own life.




3 comments:
I have never tried gazpacho but your recipe looks delicious! I'm trying to incorporate more vegetables into my diet so this looks like a perfect way to do that...and I love that you can make it ahead of time!
Lily is just beautiful! I can't wait to meet her someday!
Rebecca, this is perfect for eating veggies in a fun way. I always feel healthier after eating it.
Brigette - I LOVE your gazpacho! Gazpacho will forever remind me of you. <3
Post a Comment