Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Asking for Help



My 1 year old has been learning baby sign language.  She recently learned how to ask for "help" (she uses a fist instead of a "thumbs up".)  Quickly she learned that asking for "help" has a lot of power.  Especially when you are with someone who loves you and that person wants to help you.


She does the baby sign and then I will quickly be by her side wanting to know what she needs.  The first day or so she would ask for "help" all day long.  Now it has just simmered down to a consistent plea throughout her day.  This doesn't mean that she always gets what she wants.  But it does mean that I then know that she has a need and I help determine what is best.



This had made me think a lot about increasing in asking God for help throughout my day. 

Psalm 109:26  Help me, O Lord my God! 
Save me according to your steadfast love!
God loves me and wants to help me.  I am trying to remember to look to Him and ask for help more throughout my day.
 
Psalm 121:2  My help comes from the LORD, 
Who made heaven and earth. 
What a comfort to know that I am asking a God who has the power and the ability to help me.

Psalm 46:1-3  God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.  Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling. Selah
No matter how overwhelming the situation may be, it is not overwhelming for God.  In my life right now I get overwhelmed by caring for a 1 year old while 6 months pregnant, but God isn't overwhelmed with my situation!

Psalm 63:7  For You have been my help, 
And in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy.
 Just as my daughter is comforted by my help, I can enjoy the comfort of my Heavenly Father caring for me.
  

3 comments:

Annie said...

Brigette.

That REALLY blessed me. I am glad I looked at this. It is exactly what I needed to read today.

Thank you for sharing! Love you!

The Steins-Enjoying God's Grace said...

I love love love this post. It was something I really needed to hear and blessed me so much! I think sometimes we get so caught up in trying not to need help that we forget that God is ALWAYS there and He WANTS to help us no matter what! I love all the pictures of Lily by the way! She is absolutely adorable! :)

Melissa

Brigette said...

Annie- I'm so glad.
Melissa - it is so true that we try to not need help. God doesn't want us to be independent but dependent on Him!