Thursday, August 11, 2011

Baby Quilts Part 1


A year after starting to sew I really wanted to make a quilt for each of my girls.  With the theme of keeping it simple, I have started to plunge into a genre of sewing that feels like a rite of passage for me.
Example of an I-Spy Quilt

The "I-Spy Quilt" concept initially inspired me.  The idea of having a quilt where a child finds different items sounds really fun for a toddler.  But I wanted to keep it as simple as possible, so I chose 8 different fabrics and stuck to an animal theme.  These two tutorials from Sew Mamma Sew gave me ideas of how to make a patchwork quilt Link 1 Link 2
5 1/2 inch squares

A rotary fabric cutter really helped to cut out the squares.

Not the final pattern.
I rearranged the squares on the floor to figure out a pattern,


and then sewed the sqaures into strips.
My helper!
 My 1 year old sat in my lap for short periods of time while I pinned the rows together.
Quilt top #1 sewed together. 
She's more interested in the mulch than her quilt progress!
Next up: learning how to attach the front and the back, quilting it all together, and binding it.  Then doing it all over again.

To be continued....

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

That looks beautiful! I've always wanted to learn how to quilt...I should probably finish the baby blanket I started knitting when I was only a few months pregnant with Annabel first. :)